Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

I prayed to Santa Claus...

... when I was a young boy, probably less than 10 years old.  I wanted to receive a certain gift for Christmas and who else should I pray to?  The myth of Santa Claus coming into the house while we were away at Christmas Eve church services (LC-MS) was told to us by our parents and other church adults... and I certainly believed it!  Stupid me... or was I stupid?  Was it me that was stupid to believe such a false story that all "grown-ups" know is not true?  Or was something else wrong?

My mother eventually found out that I was praying to Santa Claus and sharply admonished me to stop doing this ... I think I felt like a fool... and I don't quite remember how she explained it to me, but I think she gently explained that the story of Santa Claus (coming into the house) was not really true.

That a "devout" LC-MS family such as mine should have promulgated such a worldly story within its household shows how far the lay members of the LC-MS were duped by its leaders and teachers into following the world's ways.

But it certainly was not the old (German) Missouri Synod that was the source of the confusion among its lay members... it was the new (English) Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments only accepted when directly related to the post.